Thursday 21 March 2013

Sun gate and arrival in Machu Picchu

So the big day has arrived, time to visit Machu Picchu, I certainly feel like I have earned it with the Inca Trail. The last 3 days have been some of the best of my life, and now I know Machu Picchu is just 2 hours away I have mixed feelings. I kind of don't want this to end, but can't wait to see Machu Picchu. As I said early start, we basically get ready and then queue for the entrance to the sun gate. We haven't finished hiking yet, it's about 1.5 hrs to the sun gate and then just over half hour past there to Machu Picchu itself.

When we arrive at the sun gate there are a few hikers there, all waiting for the first glimpse of Machu Picchu. It is very cloudy today though and we just get a tiny glimpse before we have to decide to go, that the cloud won't clear quickly enough. By no means disappointed, it adds to the whole mystery and so we head out. The sun gate is amazing, so far away from Machu Picchu yet there is a sun room in Machu Picchu itself that directly lines up on the 21 December... Just sometimes in awe of the ingenuity of man.

And so we make it, we walk out of the Inca trail and into Machu Picchu itself. Breathtaking..... We all just breath it in at first, but then the reality of all the tourists hits as we see so many of them there. We are soon reunited with Yuri and Bob and Jean, say our hello's and then we have to leave and re-enter Machu Picchu, we get our passports stamped and are now guided for the final hour by Vlad and Saul around before our free time to explore.

I think everyone feels the same, who are all these people and why do we have to share this experience, at one point we had to wait for ages for a Japanese tourist to stop taking photos in order to get in to one area, Vlad had to have a word!!! I think that the people on the Inca Trail should be given the place to themselves for the morning, rather than sharing with 2000 tourists who got a bus here! I think we earned some peace to take it all in... But no matter, there is still the ability for some tranquility blocking out the other people.

We walk to the Inca Bridge, which is a bit scary a lot of sheer drops!!! And then just sit and watch as the clouds cover and reveal Machu Picchu each time this happens you see something new, and just are in awe of the place. So peaceful to just sit and watch and contemplate life! Dont worry I'm not going all spiritual on you all, but to me its no wonder this is one of the new seven wonders of the world.

Soon it's time to go and reluctantly we leave, heading back for some food in town before catching the train back to Cuzco. This is where we say farewell to Saul and Vlad, it's very emotional as we say how much they have made the trip memorable and an amazing experience. I won't forget Vlads cheekiness, and teasing and Saul's cheeky laugh is just brilliant I really wish I recorded it, they are both truly wonderful people and made our family possible. I mean it from the bottom of my heart, they will be missed and I will never forget them.

I decide that we need a bit of a pick up on the train home, so for Lauras 30th and to celebrate finishing the Inca Trail I buy a few bottles of fizzy pop... Rude not to celebrate on such a day like this. The train journey is full of toasts for our group, and it's nice to have a little buzz and some music and bopping in our chairs as we wind our way back to civilisation.

We get back to the hotel, first thing.... bags, room, hot shower!!!! We quickly get ready and then head to a very nice restaurant for Laura's 30th birthday dinner. I decide it's time to try Alpaca... So steak it is. The food is amazing, and capriahinas are fabulous, going down nicely. Everyone is shattered, but I am looking forward to a night out so as the others head home I join the youngsters in the Paddy bar and settle in for the night of Peruvian partying, dancing the night away in Mythology the local club!!! A good night was had by all...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment