Sunday 10 March 2013

St Maarten... We have arrived!

So, after a slightly sleepless overnight boat journey, I'm keen to get checked in and into my room. I head to the Royal Palm Beach Resort. It's only a 10 minute walk so I decide a cab isn't necessary... Little did I know that there are no pavements here!!!! So I am literally dragging my wheeled backpack through sand and gravel, finally making it. Also, road crossing etiquette basically if you look like you are crossing the cars will stop.. Alternatively there seem to be zebras across the road and they will stop there. However, when the bridge is up is every man for himself so watch out for cars as they will do anything they can to get going including driving on what calls itself the pedestrian walkway.....
I get to the hotel and soon realise I have no booking for today... I think I worked out my dates wrong and so booked for tomorrow... Not to mention check in is at 4pm! So, luckily they find me a room and I have to then eat, and chill out somewhere. At this point all I want is to be able to change out of my sailing kit, wash and relax. Sadly, the changing room in the gym is under construction, and they have nothing near the pool expect an outdoor shower... Hmm, think not! So I find a toilet, clean up and get my bikini on and head for food.
Once I'm full up, I chill out and just take in the beautiful Caribbean Sea and boats moored off shore, the water is lovely and very little surf which makes it ideal for swimming. The plan is to meet at Jimbo's at around 7pm to meet the crew I will be sailing with and head for dinner and drinks. I get the room at exactly 4pm.... It's huge, amazing view, really fabulous so I know I will look forward to staying here for a week... Definitely a step up from the Cobana Copa days in Rio!!
I get myself ready and head to meet the crew, but looks like some got in early and headed to the yacht club which is opposite my hotel. So I head back and as I round the corner I see Vadim walking with a couple of guys so I head over to say hi... The big guy turns round and goes "hey there, why don't you join us at Jimbo's" to which I respond "I was planning to, I'm your crew!" and the night starts from there led completely by Sean we go bar hopping. The nice thing about St Maarten is everywhere has wifi.. Maybe not brilliant but enough for the basics and in the age of whatsapp instead of texting it is perfect. So I login at Jimbo's, then Tropper's, Skip Jacks, the Yacht Club, my hotel of course, I can practically walk my hotel to the marina with wifi coverage as I go!
The night turns a bit wild with flaming zombies! Tequila and the like, and then finally food... Which is devoured in seconds. Every restaurant has lobster, live and huge sitting in tanks that you can go and pick! It's crazy, they are massive. Like lobster on steroids. No lobster tonight though... The food is gone in minutes! I leave the guys at this point to carry on... It's one of those times when you know the next stop is a strip joint... I'm happy to pass on the pleasure of Golden Eyes!!
I will be interested to see how it goes tomorrow, how many sea sick crew we have... Let's hope they survive the first night!

No comments:

Post a Comment