Monday 25 February 2013

Race training day... Back in the pit

So now the sailing part of my adventure begins, I get my sailing kit on and head down to EH01 my boat for the next week of training and racing. My old home away from home I think I have sailed about 4000 nautical miles in her roughly and now will probably get in another 700 under my belt. It's and emotional reunion, many happy memories and amazing times have been made here.

Day one is always the same process, we go through safety and where everything is on the boat, life rafts, jackets, fire extinguishers and of course how to use the heads (toilet for those not in the know)!! Now that is the most important bit to pay attention to for anyone planning to sail... The heads and use thereof is the most contentious part of sailing with others.

We run through sailing experience to get an idea of who will be where to start with, and as expected I'm in the pit. To be honest if I hadnt got an injury with my wrist I would have jumped at the chance to be on the bow.... madness I know.... ! Anyway, I know the boat inside out and so it's a quick once over and I'm up to speed on where everything is.

Next we start to rig the boat for our afternoon sail whilst we wait for another crew member Brian to arrive. So of course most things are already in place so the main setup required is for the spinnaker. Hmmmm.... So maybe a few of you don't know the terminology so I will put up a glossary of terms to help!!!

Brian arrives and we get underway, it's a gorgeous day, hot, sunny and plenty of wind. As you can expect on the first day of training we aren't exactly a well oiled machine, it's pretty chaotic. I've been through this so many times I just take it in my stride and let the day unfurl. In a nutshell though, what generally happens with sailors of varying experience is a jostle where everyone thinks they know best, lots of people shouting and telling you what to do, no one listening properly to Andy (the skipper) ,communication is always appalling at the start. But we get sails up, and potter around we get the spinnaker up and do a couple of gybe's... Not pretty by any stretch of the imagination but I'm sure we will get there in the end.

So then on top of this as the only female (at the moment) on the boat there is always the sexism the top it all off. Those who know me can probably guess my feelings on being told what to do, and being spoken to in a patronising tone! Today we are 8 individuals trying to work out how to be a team.... Let's hope things improve before race day!!! Small blessing at least we didn't break anything!!

On a personal note I am very happy that my wrist injury makes it through the day, not saying its perfect but it's not getting worse! Not yet anyway... Having fallen down the stairs at home some 3 months ago, and torn tendons and ligaments my left wrist still isn't back to normal but it's too late now, I just need it to take a little punishment and then will rest again in Peru!

In the evening we head to Cloggys bar and restaurant in the Antigua Yacht Club for dinner and I tuck in to a fabulous chicken dinner... The food here is pretty good quality. Straight to bed from dinner, I'm still getting over carnival and sleep is much needed. Plus once we start the race sleep isn't going to really happen so the more I can get now the better.

I chat a little with Gareth who is Andy's apprentice and the bowman, have to say he's a pretty interesting guy. He was a scientist loved his adrenalin sports, snowboarding and the like and gave up everything to be a sailor! He's blogging too, www.gsailinglife.com... You should check it out!! I would bet there's a book there somewhere with his life changing experience.

As for the crew.... I am struggling a little really to form any relationships. Im getting to know them a little and asking questions, getting a response and then.... complete silence, it's a pretty one way conversation so far with some...! Early days though, so will see how it goes... As long as I'm sailing I'm happy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment