Saturday 23 February 2013

Carnival Wednesday (Ash Wednesday) - sad farewells

Today is a sad day in my travels, Carnival is over with the exception of the results party for Sambodromo and I'm leaving Rio.

Thomas from Gecko is back in Rio picking up his new tour group so we decide to take him to lunch as he has gone out of his way so much since the tour ended and been super helpful we feel it's a nice gesture. So myself, Jamie, a new friend Yen from the hostel and Michel all head to a traditional Brazilian grill for lunch. The food is fabulous, and pretty much the best meal I have had in Rio so it's nice to end on. My one regret was the garlic steak, delicious but I'm thinking everyone on AA990 to Miami won't be impressed... Phew that was a hefty garlic pack steak! No amount of toothpaste or mouthwash is getting rid of that anytime soon.

Jamie has followed my attempt to get a room on the last night in the Copacabana Palace and got a room in one of the 5star hotels on the beach, so after lunch she packs up with Lucy and heads over I join them for a drink on the pool terrace and we watch the Sambodromo results. Vila Isabel win as tipped so there will be a party in that town tonight. They judge on many levels, timing, content, story, song lyrics, costumes, choreography it's pretty long scoring but Vila Isabel get nearly all 10s!!

Not long before time is running out, saying some sad goodbyes whilst Jamie tries to pursuade me to move to San Francisco and I'm off to the airport... Not without a mishap of course, wrong terminal... Are you kidding me! So with just enough time to grab a pair of duty free Haviana's I make it and settle down for the long haul to Antigua via Miami!

Looking back over Argentina and Brazil I barely scratched the surface of these places and know in my heart I will be back again. I have many new friends, and have been truly touched by the Brazilian people and how helpful and protective of me. I love Brazil!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment