Sunday 17 February 2013

Carnival Friday

So today I have a twinge of a hangover!!! But still manage to get up early (ish) have breakfast and start to think about the first day of carnival and the arrival of Cathy and Claire from the UK! I am quickly pursuaded that the best thing to do on such a beautiful clear day is Sugarloaf mountain.... But first practicality dictates that I pick up laundry... The pit fall of travelling over long periods is the basic day to day stuff that dulls the fun! Oh well... Admin done its off to sugar loaf.

I pickup up Cathy and Claire on the way, and we head up in the cable car... It's pretty much a similar experience to table mountain in Cape Town really...except the floor doesn't rotate! But I have to say that's a blessing.... So we reach the first station and take in the spectacular views, have a bite to eat, take pictures.

Ah, now this is where I realise my wonderful system of replacing SD cards, loading onto my iPad, and swapping around cards for the purpose of trying ensure in the event of robbery I don't lose all my snaps, is really good providing that you remember to put your SD cards back..! Damn... But being a braver tourist that on day 1 in Rio I thankfully have my iPhone with me to at least take a few decent snaps... Gutted though!!

So snapping away, we head up to the next station view point higher up, and at this stage we are actually in the clouds... Crazy to see the little fluffy clouds floating by and at some points actually going through them... But not enough cloud to prevent a decent view which is good as that does happen a bit apparently. And I'm glad to see that the weather forecast the apple app has been predictining for everyday of thunder, rain and showers is a load of old tosh! It's scorchio.... Blue skies and fab weather.

So sugarloaf ticked off the tourist list, it's back for some rest and recovery before heading out for carnival parade in Ipanema to kick off. Things go a little pear shaped in my organisational skills, and power napping (still recovering from the night before) and well, by the time I get to Banda de Ipanema parade it's all done.. So I just take in the aftermath in the streets and on the beach with all the hundreds of people still around and then head back to the hostel. Tomorrow determined to NOT miss carnival...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment