Saturday 23 February 2013

Carnival Tuesday (Shrove)

So after a long night of Sambodromo I could really do with some rest, but as my Brazilian friends would say... You didn't come to carnival to sleep!!! I think it's time I actually went to the beach!! Copacabana here I come.

As I said before its bank holiday and the beaches are flooded with people (locals, tourist, cruise liner tours) so there is barely any capacity to fit me in. Not only that I look like a bright white beacon in amongst the locals!! Even though I have been here nearly 3 weeks now, I only had a bikini on once... And my tan is a bit patchy between inevitable sunburns depending on what I was wearing at the time... I've had no real time for sunbaking becuase there is too much to do and too much fun to be had!

Hat on head, sarong in hand and enough water supplies to rehydrate the whole hostel and of course sunscreen I head down the block from the hostel to the beach. The sand is scorching, but there are walk ways along the beach where they run in pipes with holes that spray water to cool your feet and compact the sand into a little path... Bright idea although not sure why they wasting fresh water when they could pump sea water up... But that's just my environmental conscience speaking..!

I take up my position and set out my sunbaking stall.. Not long before people are watching me turn pink! Maybe just being paranoid, but I do stick out with my blonde hair and Lilly white skin turning a lovely shade of red... Also at this point no umbrella. What a faux pas..

Literally within 20mins of sitting down along comes a guy asking if I want an umbrella, no way I'm British I can do this, I've got a hat... Although I was surprised he spoke to me in English... "I'm fine" I say, he replies "are you sure?", "yes" I say, "are you really sure"... Yes.. Totally! Come on... Do your worst. He circles back round 20 mins later... "are you sure?" ok... I give up, I'm dying give me an umbrella. We start chatting and no he doesn't work in IT, but he is British... Brazilian dad, mum from the Seychelles and he moved to Brazil 10years ago.. Arnold! Originally from London, unbelievably near Wanstead he used to play football on Wanstead Flats. Small world indeed we have the occasional chat every time he passes and he brings me up to date on why he moved here and Brazilian men and women and lifestyle !!!

So in a nutshell (not overly laden with stats and simply from a poll of one!), there are more women than men here in Rio so the men get the pick of the bunch and the women are competitive in being attractive as are the muscle bound men (steroids are big in Rio, hence testosterone none sense at carnival). All through Brazil where there have been different settlers over time there are different looks, from the Scandinavian of the south to the Africans in the north. Rio has a mix of everything to choose from.

Men find a beautiful wife, and usually have a girlfriend (or 2, 3 on the side). The women basically want children before they are 30 (now that's not the first time I heard this, the mother of the hostel owner was talking and said the same thing) so they pressure their men into fatherhood. The compromise being they play around! Even Marci commented that's Brazilian men's introduction is hello, let me stick my tongue in your mouth! Must just be me then, could it be the 'touch me and you die' look in my eyes that keeps them at bay.. Haha. I get the feeling Arnold moved to Brazil to be a playboy...

So after my 'education' a term I use very loosely... I realise I've been on the beach 4hrs, not eaten and need to plan my last night. I have had a bit of a wander into the ocean at times, it's hard when there nearly as many people in the sea as there are in the beach and the waves come crashing down on you and try to take your feet from under you... But it's refreshing and a much needed cool down. But as expected, I'm pretty red by the time I get back.

So time to make plans, sadly everyone is missing in action no Jamie, Lucy, Cathy is laid up with a bad infection in her foot. So time to look elsewhere, Marci had given me her contact info so I email and we agree to meet up in Lapa for Sargento Pimenta... Basically a Brazilian Beatles tribute band, I have to say that sounds just perfect to finish on. We make plans to meet, but I soon realise on arrival that with the hundreds of people there the description in Lapa near the aqueduct isn't really a good meeting point!!! I'm wondering how on earth I will find them with no phone or any means of contact. Hmmm... So I start my plan of attack, working from the outside of the crowd in... Luckily within 15mins I hear someone shouting my name and find them... Phew! We head into the crowd with our Capri vodkas and hotdogs and start belting out Beatles hits. It surprises me that brazilians know all the words but basically have no idea wht they mean!

Anyway, a fun night is being had by all singing, dancing and even a samba remix of a couple of Beatles songs... Very interesting! Of course in crowds like this it is inevitable something will happen, it's not long before a guy tries to put his hand in my bag... Luckily my lightning reactions (developed at Brixton Academy) spot the attempt and grab the hand and stop the theft. They guy denies it of course, but I'm soon surrounded by Brazilian men who send him on his way and I am protected again and given a lesson in spotting guys from Flavela's that are dodgy! Luckily he got nothing, but I was prepared with my crappy phone and camera purchased for exactly such an event, my spare 100 real in my bra, and key in my zipped up pocket! Safety first.

Night turns to morning, and the whole event is really a fabulous end to such an amazing and surprising time in Rio... I met lots of really lovely people, and got home in one piece. It's not over yet I know, one last day remains and some more farewells and then Antigua and a whole different type of adventure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment