Thursday 7 February 2013

Attack of the killer sand flies....

Next morning I'm feeling a bit better, so tentatively start to eat a little bread, drink a little tea... Yep, I will be fine. So, as it's bit cloudy today I think a nice walk up the beach to the fort is in order. The beach is flat, 5k long so a good 10k walk, I splash on a bit of sunscreen, cover myself in insect repellent (having learnt last night you don't leave your hut without it) and head out once again with my Tesco bag of bottled water!

The walk is great, the fort is good, nice view, takes about 3hrs round trip so lots of walking. I go for a bit of a swim before I head back in a nice secluded part of the beach. My swim is sadly cut short when a fish takes a bit of a disliking to my presence and starts to attack me in the water... Of course at this point I'm freak out, are there piranhas in Brazil? I'm not saying I ran out the water screaming, but it was a brisk walk... Probably because the fish was pushing me with all it's little strength... Cheeky bugger!

I grab my things having got the message, and head back... on dry land now, I realise my repellent is all washed off... Within seconds I'm being chased down the beach by hungry sand flies, Tesco bag flailing around me trying to get the little critters off my legs. To say it was a relief to reach my hut is an understatement. Priority 1 shower, priority 2 repellent and lots of it...

So, this is when it rains... And when I say rain I mean it, absolute torrential downpour. We all pretty much run to the restaurant for dinner. This is a local islander spot and I am persuaded to share the fish stew speciality of the house. What the hell... It's delicious, comes out in a clay pot and has octopus, squid, prawns, mussels and fish with rice and chips! I stick to rice. But amazing, really nice and thankfully doesn't poison me! We wait out the rain and then walk back through sandy puddles to the inn.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment