Tuesday 29 January 2013

Sunday b***** Sunday....

Ok, so I completely forgot that today was Sunday, and what does that mean in certain parts of the world.. Oh yes, absolutely everything is shut and streets deserted... Brilliant....!! The temperature is hotting up too, today was super scorchio, I woke early at 8am and it was already 22C and I think the high was 33C the red nose is certainly coming along nicely.

I sadly moved on from Luba Tango house, Luba arose (at midday) with the look of having had a "big night in.." (picture Ange from Eastenders after a drink binge!) I remember hearing them finish at 3am... Whereas I was in bed by 10pm. Of course I am saving myself for Rio! I headed for my next stop Waldorf Hotel, which is much better online than in person.

So, I get my room key and head on up only to find another bag in the room... Que? Well, on further investigation I find socks in the sink and washed undies hanging in the bathroom... Are those boxers I see before me? Confused I say nothing, stake a claim to my bed and head on out....

Another day of wandering the streets, but the difference being absolutely nothing going on!! San Telmo, empty, Plaza de Mayo empty... I couldn't even find the bus stop to get on the big yellow bus round the city... Which to be honest I don't think actually stops anywhere.... I found one street (after 3 hrs) with something going on, markets... I don't want to exaggerate but basically that was the only place to go!

I managed to find something I was looking to buy, and started to try out the phrase book Spanglish. "Hola, quanto es? " well then numbers come flying my way and the next thing I am handing over 30 peso for 2 fridge magnets... Only to then be stopped and told no, it's 3 fridge magnets for 10 peso... Ah!!! Silly me. I'm ok on delivery but not understanding response, need to work on that.! Try again...

Minor 'faux pas' over, I start walking again.... And like a homing pigeon I make it to water and yachts, Puerto Madera. Well I say that, but honestly, having turned down a road full of unsavoury characters I panic and head to where I see people and relative safety... and fortunately it was quite lovely. Lucky me :)

Now, having not eaten for 7hrs because it's Sunday and everything is shut (have I said that already!!)... I'm finally somewhere "open", and want to make the right choice so after a further hour of scouring menus, until basically my stomach told me to get a life and make a decision, I pick a restaurant. My mission should I choose to accept... Do not speak English.. unless you absolutely have to to get fed! Impossible... No, Success.... Yes! I managed to get through a whole meal all in Spanish.. Hurrah.. ordering, asking for the loo, everything.... A truly proud moment! Gutted I forgot the "I'm full" comment, that would have gone down a storm...

Rosetta stone eat your heart out, one page in a phrase book and I'm practically local .. Haha.! Ok maybe not, but I'm trying and that's the fun part.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment