Saturday 26 January 2013

Gardens and cemeteries

My morning starts with my first Argentine breakfast, toast and jam, tea and juice.. apparently this is the norm in this Latin America, a simple start to the day... Can't complain as it was very nice, but I'm still trying to work out what the jam actually was! Up early and out by 10am for my tour of the the rest of Palermo, Recoleta and Barrio Notre.

Basically my day consists of a lot of walking, through some really lovely parks. The Japanese Gardens are small but very lovely, small cover charge for that experience but for possibly £3 it's not bad. There seems to be a reasonable amount of parks and greenery in BA and it's very easy to get around with the usual grid style set-up.

Finishing up with Palermo and parks I head to the cemetery, the main attraction here is Evita's final resting place... Recoleta is pretty much centred around this as the main tourist feature, and you can see the tour buses all lined up. Strangely though it seems quiet and empty, after hours of pacing up and down the rows of elaborate mausoleums I finally find the right one and join the small queue for pictures!

Next stop is the recommended Tea Connection... In Barrio Notre just a short walk. Fab food and lots of tea as you might imagine. After yet another payment debacle!!! This time with my card, I head off for the round trip back to Palermo.

Basically I walked from 10am till 7pm across about half the city, with the exception of my "tea" break. My legs are no longer lilly white, but that's more the dirt from the streets... Best have a wash! I am completely shattered but now have to contemplate the repacking of the old backpack as tomorrow is time to move on and "meet the tour" ...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment