Tuesday 29 January 2013

Meeting the Gecko's...

So, it's time to meet the "Gecko" crew! (Sounds like a bad rap group..!)

So full of paella I head back to the hotel I get to my room to find my new companion. Jamie from San Francisco, anyway I was wrong with my earlier confusion on checking in and Jamie is in fact a woman... She too is staying in Rio for carnival and is also staying in the same hostel as me, and to top it off she is a chiropractor previously a pharmacist so needless to say my wrist is now in safe hands until I go sailing....

We then went down to meet the rest of the group... Diego is our tour guide in Argentina, and there are 15 in the group including myself. 7 Aussies, 6 Brits, a Kiwi and an American. The youngest is 20, oldest is Jamie at 53 but I think she has the energy of a 20 year old. Jamie also already knows 2 guys from the UK having met them on a previous tour round Cuba, and so everyone starts to get to know each other.

We all head out for steak and nice glass of Malbec... Be rude not to. Jamie and I decided to pass on the after dinner drinking and clubbing shinnaningans being suggested. Not like me I know, but had my sensible hat on saving myself for Rio and also want to go to La Boca and Teatro Colon tomorrow and know if I drink with 20 year olds I won't get back up!

Some interesting facts on safety, apparently there is a scam where someone throws liquid, mayo or other such thing on you and your clothes and then others will then come help you get clean... Literally cleaning you out as they say. This happened to a couple of people on the tour. To be honest nothing like that has remotely happened to me here and apart from some empty streets and a lot of homeless people, not really felt targeted or threatened in any way. Maybe my ridiculously red face is putting them off ....

So tomorrow is the last day in Buenos Aires before the real adventure starts

 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see the write is getting some TLC! Tyrone says Hi and asked how the wrist is...

    So let's see these photos of the red face :)

    ReplyDelete