Tuesday 23 April 2013

Final day

And so the last day arrives and the packing up starts, one final workout and then we head to meet up with our instructor for hobby cat sailing and snorkelling. We get there promptly, and we wait.... and wait..... and wait, all the time being told 15 minutes, and then watching the guy who sold us this adventure walk further down the beach on his mobile!! About an hour late, the guy finally turns up.

We then head out and I soon get the feeling that this is our driver, rather than instructor! So I leave it and just ask a few question, how do you steer, how do you tack, and gybe. We get to our snorkelling spot and are given the gear. Jumping in and heading towards the reef. Sadly the gear is a bit of a pain, the snorkelling keeps slipping and needs constant adjustment but I won't let that get me down. It's hard work swimming, and the reef is quotes shallow in parts. At times I swim and suddenly realise my foot is on the reef, and that I'm now caught in a shallow area wondering how to get out... I look up and see the someone waving "come here, look at this" that's all well and good but I'm stuck now in this reef!!!

Repeat this process about 8 times in an hour and that's about my experience really, lots of pretty fish but I think having been to the great barrier reef that this particular area doesn't compare! But it's fun, and the sailing is good. I learn how to get myself back into the hobby cat without assistance which is an event in itself really! Not the most dignified of performances but funny.

Then we head back, and I insist on taking the helm.... Let's just say, on the way back the ride is slightly more bumpy than on the way there, but it is fun and I enjoy it... Although I can see that sometimes the instructor (for want of a better word) is actually pushing the rudder where he wants it, but eventually as I get the hang of things that is less and less.

By the time we are back im starving so back to Zenzi again and this time we tuck into the nachos we have been seeing all week, and not disappointed one bit they are fab and filling! A couple more piƱa coladas and we are happy as Larry!

After finishing up, we head back to the hotel to pack what we can praying we don't need more bags! And then decide that out last meal will be back at Dialblito's. Tomorrow it's back to the UK for a brief pit stop and birthday party before my final adventure back in Antigua.... Turning 40!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment