Tuesday 30 April 2013

Back on the road again....

So, after a brief little stop back home catching up with friends, going to the grand national for my birthday with my family and closest friends, catching up with work colleagues, 2 interviews, then a little visit to the Netherlands and a birthday dinner in Hoxton(a crammed 2 weeks!) I'm all set to leave again for my final adventure.... Antigua and sailing week, oh yes.... And turning 40! Ironically this was the first thing I booked and is the last thing I am doing.

The flight from Gatwick with British Airways is 10.45, so not too bad and I decided to drive down to make life a bit easier hopefully. First mistake, leaving at the crack of dawn, somehow I thought it was Friday and was expecting hideous rush hour traffic, and then hit the motorway and realised it was actually Saturday and everyone is still in bed! Oh well, a nice smooth drive down to the airport at least. And the sun is finally shining, it's a really gorgeous day, so happy, I'm wearing flip flops again!

It is a breeze getting through, and sadly no free upgrades for me for my birthday... Not really wanting to pay £400 for a bed when it's a day time flight! It was amusing being offered to pay £100 to upgrade to the class I was already in though... Hmm! I may have over packed a little for the trip, but sure I will wear everything and if not I'm sure that Gareth at least will make use of a dress of two during race week!

At the airport I run into someone I haven't seen for a good few years who used to work for me, small world as always... I do a little shopping, although Gatwick to be honest isn't great, and grab a drink and wait for my flight. The flight flies by really, a few films, great food, a few drinks and before I know it I'm in Antigua and heading to Cocobay Resort.

I arrive to be greeted with rum punch, very nice.... Settle in to my room which is lovely, lovely big bed, balcony with fabulous sea view, my own hammock, have a quick power nap and then head to dinner. I should mention that it is torrential rain at this point so I actually head to dinner in my sailing jacket. Not sure it meets the casual elegance dress code though!!!

Now I knew when I booked that this was a bit couple orientated... What all inclusives isn't.... But when I sit down, the waitress immediately pours out 2 waters! I explain I am dining alone, and a sad and shocked look crosses her face as if I had just declared I am dying of cancer or something!

So for dinner you get a 4 course menu, starter, soup, main and desert. I'm not too hungry so opt for just the main course. You can also go off "all inclusive" and pay extra for the good stuff.. Lobster, steak, and the like. Personally, I like the normal options. Fish it is, and it's delicious with a nice wine. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the food, and chocolate melting pudding for desert... Lovely! I'm pretty exhausted by this point so a good nights sleep is in order, if I was in the UK I would be 40 now... But I'm not, I'm still 39 so making the most of it.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment